The Nauvoo Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was originally built between 1841-45 but was abandoned as mobs drove the Mormons out of Illinois in 1846. Damaged first by fire and then a tornado, the structure was no longer standing by 1853. The LDS Church eventually reacquired the land in 1962 and rebuilt the temple on the original footprint between 2000-2002. The exterior of the current temple is nearly a replica of the original structure.
While this temple is not available for public tours, individuals are welcome to stroll the grounds. Visit www.churchofjesuschrist.org/temples to learn more about the Nauvoo temple.
Latter-day Saints arriving to perform service in the temple may click here to consult the schedule. A waiting area for family and friends is available in the Temple Arrival Center just north of the temple.
PHASE 1: TEMPLE OPEN FOR LIVING SEALINGS ONLY--Based on First Presidency direction, this temple has resumed limited operations. At this time, only husband-and-wife living sealings are being performed for members who already received their endowment. Sealings will be performed by appointment only and limited to couples residing in a designated geographic area. For these sealings, the temple will have minimal staff and the number of guests will be limited. At this time, appointments may only be scheduled several weeks in advance. To schedule an appointment, please send an email and include the names of the couple, desired sealing date, phone numbers, and the best time to contact you. All government guidelines will be observed, including regulations related to travel, gatherings, sanitization, and safety. All clothing services remain closed.