Joseph Smith Historic Site
The Joseph Smith Historic Site shares the story of the Latter-day Saint movement in Nauvoo during the early 1840s. Within the Community of Christ Visitors' Center, guests will find original paintings of Nauvoo by David Hyrum Smith as well as other artifacts and information about the city and its people. Guided walking tours begin at the Community of Christ Visitors' Center, starting with a short film and continuing through the Smith family homes.
The Community of Christ Visitors' Center is located in Nauvoo's historic area just off Illinois State Highway 96 at Water Street. Admission to the Visitors' Center, site orientation video, museum exhibits, and Red Brick Store is free. There is a preservation fee per person for the guided tour of the Smith homes. Please refer to the link above for more information.
Joseph and Emma Smith moved to the Homestead at Nauvoo, a log house on the eastern bank of the Mississippi River, after Joseph escaped from Missouri in April 1839 to reunite with the Saints who had found refuge near this swampy town originally called Commerce.
In August 1843, the Prophet and his family moved across the street to the Mansion House. Joseph and Emma hosted many visitors in the Mansion House, and it was here that the Saints viewed the bodies of Joseph and Hyrum following the martyrdom.
Joseph Smith's store was used as Church headquarters in Nauvoo and is also the site where the Relief Society was organized. This restored building offers tours and houses a gift shop on the ground floor.